Que Lastima

I spent a day in Los Angeles.  Getting there adds a day on each end in airplanes and airports.  The day in Los Angeles was nice, but I’ve done the same thing hundreds of times so the effect on me is muffled.   I was there to work and socialize with work people.  The people I work with are great and I’ve known most of them for nearly 20 years.  Our conversations are free and easy with a touch of professionalism thrown in for variety.

I wore a trench-coat with the liner while traveling and on the streets in Los Angeles.  It gives me pockets to carry a phone and a water bottle.  My hair is kind of messy now (I’ve been cutting it myself for about a year) so I imagine myself looking like Lieutenant Columbo.  The coat didn’t make me look out of place.  Even thought it was in the 50s, everyone had on heavy coats.

Getting to Los Angeles was easy enough.  Got on a plane at 10:00 am, switched planes in DC, then got off the second plane six hours later in Los Angeles at 6:00 p.m.  Had take-out Korean in my room.  Tofu steaks with white rice and kimchi.  Menu promised miso soup.   It was in the bag last time, but this time it wasn’t.  I felt like I was getting a cold, so I was looking forward to the soup.  The spicy tofu and kimchi helped me breathe.  Fell asleep at 9:00 p.m.

Woke up at 3:30 a.m.  Ironed a shirt.  Checked email.  Showered.  Went to the lobby restaurant at 5:00 a.m. for oatmeal and fried potatoes.  Back to the room to try to kill time, but time was a stubborn enemy.  Just sitting there.  I went to the law firm and made it through security on the first floor, but the lobby doors were locked.  Sat on the marble floor for half an hour working on the lap top.  I have a mobile wireless card now so I can connect to the office from anywhere.  I’d say it rocks, but it just means I can work more.  I guess I could surf, but I am pretty much over the internet.

Got into the offices at 8:00 a.m. and worked alone in the conference room for a couple of hours before the others showed up.  I left the lights off.  Everyone who came in asked if I wanted them on.  A wall of windows were passing enough light.  Artificial lights tense me up.

From 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. it was all adrenaline-fueled detail work.  Two deals were closing later in the week and both deals were outside the norm.  Lots of questions.  Also spent time getting money flowing in the right quantities and directions, getting offering documents polished and to the printer, getting documents signed and tracking down things needed to close.

At 4:00 p.m.  I walked to my hotel to drop off my laptop and then walked to the steakhouse for the preclosing dinner.  I’ve been vegan for over a decade and all my clients know it, but I am so easy going they rarely pick a place with me in mind.  I joke that steakhouse means I get french fries and whisky.  This time I got wine, pasta with red sauce and onion rings.  Sides were ordered for the table so I had asparagus, green beans and mushrooms as well.  I am sure some of it had butter on it, but in these situations I’d rather eat than scatter my principles all over the table.  Folks always order too much, anyway.  If I didn’t eat any of the sides, they’d end up in the trash.  Very nice wine, too.  Wax in place of the foil and it was dipped all the way down to the label.

By 8:00 p.m. we were drinking at a rooftop bar.  We were outside with the heat lamps and a beautiful view of the city.  I had Johnny Walker Red with ice.  Waitress thought they drew the line at Black, but was wrong.  I declared Red the PBR of whisky.  I stayed for an hour and then went back to my room to sleep.  I needed to get up at 3:30 a.m. to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight.  Most would be comfortable sleeping later, but for me sleep takes a back seat to making sure I get on the plane to come home.  I woke up at 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 (beating the alarm by a few minutes).  Cab was downstairs and there was zero traffic, so I was at LAX by 4:15.  Ridiculous, but it makes me comfortable.

LAX Starbucks served me oatmeal with soymilk, a mocha, a mango tango Odwalla and a pack of nuts for the plane.  The flight to Chicago worked, but the flight to Albany was delayed getting into Chicago.  When finally onboard we were told that the pilot had just spilled something on his seat and we’d have to wait for a new seat cushion to show up.  An hour passed and then I was headed home.  I was comped a G&T.  Seatmate gave me a hot tip.  Tanqueray and Hawaiian Punch.  Uh, thanks?

Landed at 6:00 p.m.  Nice dinner with Lacey and asleep by 9:00.  Woke up to another crazy snowstorm.  Four shoveling sessions during the day, and one more this morning.  It isn’t supposed to snow again until tonight, and then only an inch or two.  Sun is out now so we’re taking Frida for a walk.



2 responses to “Que Lastima

  1. Hey, last week ate at an almost raw/vegan restaurant… hard to do in meat-loving Buenos Aires. Thought of you. (restaurant is Kensho) Saw a couple of Argentinians come in, sit down, look at the menu, talk to waiter, then leave. I was amused.

  2. Hey friend! Long time! Glad you are having fun. Very funny story. The place (http://www.kensho.com.ar/) looks amazing. Thanks for taking the time to read the post and drop a note. Be well!

Share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s